Sunday, March 29, 2009

March 29 - Media

I just watched the video The Machine is Us/ing Us http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLlGopyXT_g. In the first scene someone is writing and erasing with a paper and pencil. They are trying to edit their writing and re-arrange words. I could not help but think they should be using a computer. Then I started thinking of how often I have students write out assignments by hand. The inefficiency of it struck me at that moment. Unfortunately a computer is not available for every student at all times but in the future I believe it will be. The video went on to show that a computer is so much more than just a word processor. The Internet is more than just a research tool. Technology links us together as citizens of the world. By collaborating on-line we will redefine the world. This is web 2.0.

2 comments:

  1. Right now, in my classroom, typing on a keyboard seems inefficient as the students stare at the keyboard with their pointing fingers ready to strike! But this skill will improve with practice. Right now they are combining so many new skills at once - thinking of ideas, thinking of the words to write, how to spell the words, using punctuation (rarely) and spaces between words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Kim. Writing skills need to be developed before they can effectively use the computer.

    ReplyDelete